Why I'm Taking a Break from LoganLand Rants

WHY I’M TAKING A BREAK FROM LOGANLAND RANTS

by Logan Tyler Smith

Hey guys. If you’ve been a longtime viewer of my YouTube channel, you probably know that for the past two or so years (since 2019), I’ve had a movie-based podcast titled LoganLand Rants. 


The basic concept of the podcast is that I provide my unfiltered opinions on movies, the good the bad and in-between of my perspective on a given cinematic work. Also you may have noticed I haven’t uploaded in about fa month since posting the last podcast video on the film 21 Jump Street. 


And that’s pretty much where I’m comfortable leaving it for now. Part of this blog will be my reasons why I’m taking a long hiatus from LoganLand Rants. 

  1. I’m spending my time filmmaking/writing. 

I’m sure my friends and family watching this video know this, but for those of you who don’t know, in high school I wanted to be a fantasy novelist. While that dream of fantasy writing has faded a little bit, the creative urge simply hasn’t gone away and my enjoyment of film and filmmaking kind of grew into podcasting and related media content creation. But the writing urge has not gone away and while I may not stop making short films, I’d rather focus on that than my podcast. You see while for a while I liked creating podcasts, I liked actually getting my hands dirty on videos and I feel podcasting has taken time away from video and toward audio, and that’s not as fulfilling to me. That being said there are a few other reasons behind this, that I'm about to go into: 

  1. A much needed break. 

Okay maybe not literally needed, but I’m exhausted enough to where I feel I need one. You see, in my early days on my youtube channel I would release a video pretty randomly, usually a skit of video essay of some kind. With that in mind even though a week-by-week consistent schedule definitely works for most YouTube creators it simply did not work for me, and has resulted in a perverse exhaustion (to me anyway). Sticking to a schedule kind of limited the views I had when I was spontaneous, and my podcast videos has less views individually than the video skits I happened to make on a whim. Now obviously this is anecdotal information on my part, some channels work differently. This is just what I’ve noticed works for me. 

  1. I don’t enjoy it right now. 

This is the true heart of my obsession. You see while I like making content in general, making the podcast ultimately is not enough to sustain my interest in the medium. I like making videos, and in addition to not being lucrative, the podcast also after a while turned into a chore that I didn’t really want to do after a while. I love talking about movies, but I feel no need to make content about movies anymore. I’d rather just make actual movies. 


Now I’m sure there’s someone out there who might like my podcast episodes. I’m sure they exist somewhere. But this podcast phase turned out to be draining, minimal, and after a while tedious. Obviously this youtube channel isn’t fully dead (and neither is the podcast entirely, it’ll probably be back), but it’s for now going to go back to its usual schedule; uploading a skit or video randomly every other day if not every other month. Honestly, I prefer it that way for the moment. 


Thank you for reading!

Comments

  1. Makes sense, glad to hear you’re spending the time writing and pursuing the things you’re truly passionate about and have more sustainable energy to invest in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Production Journal for 'Roomies' Production (January-July 2023)

HOW I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN YOU THINK