Gravity Falls (2012-2014) Episode 1: Tourist Trapped Review

Review written by Logan Tyler Smith

The basis of this episode is pretty simple; it’s the first episode introducing us to the world of the characters. One thing that stands out is how well it truly does that for me, an outsider to this show that has established a rabid cult following. 

The characters are introduced with crystal-clear personalities; Dipper, Soos, Grunkle Stan, and Wendy all have specific traits that define them. One stand-out I haven’t mentioned is Dipper’s twin sister Mabel, who’s voice actress is given material to work with that is so great it goes beyond saying. 


The main plot of the first episode establishes the characters' situation right away; Dipper and Mabel are spending the summer with Grunkle (great uncle portmanteau) Stan. When “boy crazy” Mabel seemingly gets an undead boyfriend (also Dipper finds a book that may be important later in the series), it seems like the plot is going in one direction...only to completely unearth it with a reveal that seems to only make sense if you look at super subtle hints throughout the episode (this is not a criticism; it’s a great twist). 


Being a children’s show, there was a lot of personal stigmas I had going into it. Even though the reviews were great, and the show had a rabid fan base (including one of my friends who suggested it to me) it took me a while to press the “play” button on Disney Plus; I am so thankful I got past that stigma.


The show has been praised for its “cross-generational appeal” at least according to Wikipedia at one point in time, and I seem to agree. I might be a late comer to this show, but after seeing the first episode? I can comfortably say I was missing out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production Journal for 'Roomies' Production (January-July 2023)

HOW I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN YOU THINK

Why I'm Taking a Break from LoganLand Rants