Gravity Falls (2012-2014) Episode 3: Headhunters Review


Review written by Logan Tyler Smith

This is probably the most overtly “mysterious” episode of the show I’ve seen so far as a fresh-eyed viewer (and not just for the “ducktective” gag). This episode follows a “murder mystery” of a wax doll of Grunkle Stan (there are other wax figures of different historical/fictional people) being ‘murdered’ (his wax head is removed from the body) and Dipper and Mabel trying to figure out who the murderer is. 

This episode is great for the murder mystery of course; it hits all the beats of that genre pretty well. But when the episode takes a turn and gets to the supernatural roots that have plagued Gravity Falls from the beginning...it cements its greatness. 


Mabel’s voice actress Kristen Schall is great as always, but this episode has the delightfully posh addition (guest star?) of John Oliver as a wax sculpture of Sherlock Holmes (did I mention the wax statues were cursed?). Ultimately, the characters use their wits to outwit these freaks of nature. 


The supernatural elements work more or less due to knowledge of the show so far; I’m sure if you were watching this episode in isolation you would probably think the ‘cursed wax statue’ idea comes out of nowhere. However, the first half of the episode which focuses mostly on the murder mystery is sure to win over the undevoted as much as the devoted. 


Again, liking the show so far, and I’m glad I can look at it with fresh eyes. Ever since my friend suggested it to me, I have to say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised (and this episode is no exception).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN YOU THINK

Production Journal for 'Roomies' Production (January-July 2023)

Why I'm Taking a Break from LoganLand Rants