Reflections on Cinema in 2024 (so far)

 I haven’t seen as many movies as I have in the past few years but I have a long list to get through. Until then, here are my current five favorites of 2024.

5. Dune Part 2: Dune Part Two manages to continue the story from the first movie in all the right ways. It also doubles down on the mix of different special effects types and driven themes that make the new(ish*) series worthwhile.

4. Furiosa: a Mad Max Saga: it very nearly matched the energy of Mad Max Fury Road…nearly. But that energy is absolutely worthwhile and shines in every seen. Director George Miller has done it again.

3. Challengers: it has by far the best new film score I’ve listened to in a while. Composers Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross absolutely kill it. The score and performances elevate what may be a pretty slight movie otherwise. Love it!

2. Maxxine: it may not appeal to traditionalists, but it doesn’t need to. X (2022) was also really good and sadly? I still need to see Pearl (2022). Maybe I’ll give you a ranking of this Ti West trilogy? Idk stay tuned.

1. Civil War: I saw it with my grandfather and seriously: it’s a very visceral and effective experience in the movie theater. Should probably watch at home…


I love movies. May I watch more before the year is over. Some anticipations include Megalopolis (as bad as it may be I gotta see Coppola’s swan song in theaters and I already have tickets) and some movies that didn’t quite make the top five include Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Speak No Evil.

Edit: I’ve seen Megalopolis since this was written and it’s not great but not near as bad as I thought. Joker 2 is by far the worst movie of the year that I’ve seen. 

May cinema continue for another 100 years!

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

 * = referring to the cinematic version, NOT its source material I admittedly haven’t read..yet..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN YOU THINK

Production Journal for 'Roomies' Production (January-July 2023)

Why I'm Taking a Break from LoganLand Rants